Common Signs of Suicide
If a person talks about:
What To Do If You Suspect Someone Is Considering Suicide:
If a person is:
“Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.”
What To Do If You Are Feeling Suicidal:
- Even though you’re in a lot of pain right now, give yourself some distance between thoughts and action.
- Make a promise to yourself to wait until you have not only thought it through but have talked to a professional about your feelings.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol
- Remove things you could use to hurt yourself, such as pills, knives, razors, or firearms.
- If you are unable to do so, go to a place where you can feel safe. If you are thinking of taking an overdose, give your medicines to someone who can return them to you one day at a time as you need them.
- Feel comfort in the idea that people get through difficult times & you are not alone.
- Many of us have found that the first step to coping with suicidal thoughts and feelings is to share them with someone we trust. It may be a friend, a therapist, a member of the clergy, a teacher, a family doctor, a coach, or an experienced counselor at the end of a helpline.
- Find someone you trust and let them know how bad things are. Don’t let fear, shame, or embarrassment prevent you from seeking help. Just talking about how you got to this point in your life can release a lot of the pressure that’s building up and help you find a way to cope.